The milk price for the month of September is unchanged at 32.01 cents per litre (145.52 cents per gallon) at 3.60% butterfat and 3.30% protein, including Summer Somatic Cell Count (SCC) bonus of 0.5 cpl and VAT at 5.4%. This includes 1.0 cent per litre milk price support from the stability fund.
The average price paid for the month is 38.74 cents per litre. This is based on the average butterfat of 4.39% and protein of 3.86%, including SCC bonus and VAT.
NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards 2019
At the recent NDC & Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards Brendan and Pauline O’Driscoll from Shreelane, Leap were one of thirteen farms shortlisted for the 2019 awards.
Brendan and Pauline won the Development Award, one of seven specialist awards that were presented on the day. Drinagh wish to congratulate Brendan, Pauline and Family on their excellent achievement. The overall award went to Kieran Hearne and family from Co. Waterford.
The Society’s annual Agri Workshop will take place on Tuesday 26th of November in the West Cork Hotel Skibbereen. More details in next month’s newsletter.
Milk Quality Workshops
Drinagh Co-Op, in conjunction with Carbery and Teagasc, held milk quality workshops in the following locations:
- Drinagh Community Hall, Tuesday October 22nd, 10:30am
- Ballydehob Community Hall, Tuesday October 22nd, 2:15pm
Topics covered at each workshop included:
- Reducing Thermodurics and looking at identifying possible causes of elevated levels of thermoduric bacteria in milk.
- Changing to a chlorine-free wash routine and what options best suit you.
- Total Bacterial Count (TBC) – Maintaining a low TBC and current best practice hygiene management.
Speakers on the day were:
- Therese O’Shea – Carbery Microbiology Lab Manager
- Don Crowley – Teagasc Advisor
- Pauline O’Driscoll – Teagasc Advisor
- Aoife Healy – Teagasc Advisor
- Drinagh Milk Quality Advisors
IFA Stakeholder Panel Discussion
- Winter Dairy Workshop on Tuesday November 26th at the West Cork Hotel, Skibbereen